Tell the truth … how much do you love the fresh and pungent fragrance of basil? We talked about his properties in yesterday’s post (Violet potato gnocchi with fresh tomato sausage), but we believe that such a magical ingredient deserves a separate chapter. Basil is truly magical because it is able to release the taste of summer, joy, and energy. It is beautiful, with its large and fleshy leaves that you can collect in scented and decorative bunches.
Basil is balm for the mind, for the heart, for the palate and, as we said, its beneficial properties are widely recognized. Today we propose it as a fundamental element of this risotto that tastes like summer, days in the open air, happy laughter. Fragrant and colorful, this risotto is very easy to prepare and will delight your guests.
The ingredients for 4 people: For the pesto: 50 gr of basil leaves DOP, 2 cloves of garlic, 15 gr of pine nuts, 70 gr of Parmigiano Reggiano, 30 gr of Pecorino, 100 ml of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of coarse sea salt. Keep a few basil leaves to decorate the dish. For the risotto: 2 handfuls of Carnaroli rice each, a generous amount of butter, white wine (half a glass), vegetable broth as required.
The procedure: prepare the pesto, combining all the ingredients in a mixer. Operate the mixer to obtain a thick and creamy pesto. The original pesto recipe requires the use of a mortar instead of a mixer, but no problem if you don’t have it. We prepare a vegetable broth that will be the basis for cooking the risotto. In a large non-stick pan, melt the butter, then toast the rice. When the grains are translucent, fade with white wine. We begin to add the broth, stirring gently to separate the beans. After about ten minutes, add the pesto and cook the rice. Take care to maintain a certain creaminess. The risotto should not be dry after cooking. Turn off the heat and stir in a small knob of butter and grated Parmesan. Serve in individual dishes and decorate with the remaining basil leaves.
DID YOU KNOW THAT…
• Basil has antioxidant properties, and it is thanks to this peculiarity that it protects the organism from the damage caused by free radicals, contrasting and on the other hand preventing many forms of cancer. In addition, this plant is also rich in flavonoids which protects cells from radiation.
• In the case of intestinal inflammation, basil, like ginger, is a powerful anti-inflammatory. In particular, the oil distilled from fresh leaves acts as a soothing agent on the gastric mucosa and furthermore favors digestion. It reduces the symptoms of muscle cramps and flatulence. If you take it daily, it protects your body from sore throats, colds, bronchitis, asthma and other common ailments.
• According to some recent research, it seems that basil acts as a powerful antibacterial to counteract some health problems where the antibiotic fails. In particular, the oil obtained from this useful plant prevents the proliferation of bacteria, a useful feature in medicine.
• For those suffering from insomnia or frequent migraines, preparing a good herbal tea based on basil can be a valid solution to relax the nervous system. In addition, due to the amount of flavonoids present, it is very useful for lactating women because the leaves tend to stimulate milk secretion.
• Especially inside the leaves is contained vitamin K, essential for strengthening bones. According to experts, it is also useful for the blood to clot properly.
What about this gorgeus #risotto with fresh #basil? #neverstop #healthyfood #wellness #preventionTweet